Saturday 15 October 2011

Mercury 125 optimax review


I have been an outboard engine mechanic for 15 years and an avid rib enthusiast for even longer, so I thought you may be interested to have my review on the all new mercury and mariner 125 L OPTIMAX. I fitted this engine to one of our ribs for sale - a seapro 600DM divemaster. A heavy boat for her size, especially with the consoles I fitted to her, she has a large centre console and 2x jockey seatpods, along with a 90l under floor fuel tank, all this was going to take a little pushing, did I go for the F100 4 stroke from mariner outboards, or a V6 150 optimax outboard from mariner or mercury. Or the tohatsu 115 tldi. All good engines, but I decided to plumb for the 125 opti, its based on the 115 optimax which I have used before, but with an extra 10hp I thought I would see what it was like.
Rigging went well, the only thing I dont like about the mariner range is the junction box which has to be fitted within 6 inches of the remote control box, but I got away with this by fitting a witches hat right next to the box through which I sent the control cables and the ancillary wiring harness. Other than that it was a straight forward fit out. Then it was off to anglesey for a long weekend and demo of the new 600DM along with some video and picture shoots. I’ll tell you how the test went in my next blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
    Outboard Engines for sale

    ReplyDelete